April 02, 2012

My beautiful SINEAD is still bold like a lion!

One of the most beautiful voice I've heard in my life is back! Sinead O'Connor just released her critically acclaimed 9th album "How about I be me (and you be you)?" in late February 2012.
Not only the woman can still sing her heart out, she speaks her mind through her songs like rare artists do these days.
Although the album sounds in parts a bit too "adult contemporary" for me to scream "genius!!!", it contains some excellent reminders of why I fell in love with Sinead in the first place; "Reason with me" is stunning in a soft-spoken, sensitive and touching way while her John Grant's cover of "Queen of Danemark" is strong, bold and enraged. "Take off your shoes" features Sinead's full emotionnal range and brilliance while the excellent closing number, "V.I.P.", is a blunt critic of our fame-hungry society and it's superficial values.
Oh...and after listening to the album a few times, I'm really enjoying "Back where you belong" for its modern Patsy Cline quality. Beautiful song and definetly one of my new favorites as well.

Now for all of you still unfamiliar with her earlier repertoire, make sure to look into her first 4 albums as well as her collaboration with Massive Attack on their album "100th window". Classics!

"Wasn't it in history 
The artists always spoke their people's needs 
Now we're gorged upon what devils feed 
In the shallow form of MTV 
Telling the youth to worship futile dreams 
And along for bling and for material things..."
Taken from the song "V.I.P."


No comments:

Post a Comment